Renault has ordered the suspension of its Q60 supercar for three more years, after an electrical issue resulted in a “critical fire” that broke out in its engine.
The Renault Q60, which was launched in 2015, is among a number of sports cars Renault is taking legal action against in the UK over the safety of its engine, the Guardian reported on Thursday.
The engine, which powers the car’s six-cylinder turbocharged V8, had been fitted with a fire suppression system, the report said.
According to the Guardian, the Q60 was originally due to be rolled out in 2018, but was delayed by a lack of funds and an issue with the engine, resulting in a fire that destroyed its entire rear-end.
In a statement to the UK’s National Highway Traffic Safety Authority (NHTSA), Renault said the fire was “a result of an electrical failure in the engine” and was caused by a “system failure that may have contributed to the fire”.
The statement added that it was “aware of the accident and is working with the authorities to identify the cause”.
A Renault spokesman told the BBC the engine’s power unit, which drives the turbocharger, was a critical component, which is why the engine was only allowed to be fitted with fire suppression.
“The engine’s fire suppression equipment is a critical part of the Q50 supercar’s performance,” the spokesman said.
“It is not equipped to cope with the situation and has to be checked by the FIA to ensure it is up to the job.”
Renault was reportedly in talks with the FIA regarding the engine issue, but the company had not responded to a request for comment by the time of publication.
On the subject of the fire, the spokesperson told the Guardian: “There is no safety requirement for an engine to be operated with a system that is not functioning properly.
Renaults engineers are working to ensure that all the safety systems in the car are up to snuff.”
The incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday morning, according to the BBC, and was captured on video.
NHTAS spokesperson Ian Campbell said in a statement: The safety of the cars owners is a top priority.
As part of that process, NHTAS will continue to examine the safety measures in place and will take action where required.
A spokesperson for Renault told the Telegraph: We take all safety issues very seriously and are taking this incident very seriously.
For more on the Q20, click here